Powerball Questions

• 6 Antworten
  • 3411 Aufrufe

Nev

• Gast
Powerball Questions
« am: 13.03.2006 22:55 »
Hello From Chicago USA!!!
I'm hoping that you could assist me.  I have a ENGL Powerball, and I would like to know about changing the tubes.  What tubes (model + make) could be used to change the tone, and what would they sound like?  I understand that there are many options, please help me with the information that you have.

I have tried EL34's, it was ok, but nothing special.  I'm checking to see what else I should try. 
Many thanks!!!

Offline bluesfreak

• YaBB God
  • Ain`t no tube, ain`t no sound....
Re: Powerball Questions
« Antwort #1 am: 14.03.2006 10:28 »
Hi,

You should have a look at the Tubemap Dirk provides.
Based on what I have experienced for a straight Rock Sound I would recommend to get a TT 12AX7 at V1, Rest JJ 12AX7/ECC83 or EH12AX7 (if you like it a bit tighter and more Mids) and put JJ E34L into the Powersection. For Metal I would choose TT EL34 as they have less Bass and more Mids...
Hope that helps...

cu
bluesfreak  8)

Offline Wicked

« Antwort #2 am: 15.03.2006 20:09 »
powerballs normally run with 6L6, at least mine does..?

Offline Dirk

• Dirk M.
  • Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • 2T or not 2T
« Antwort #3 am: 17.03.2006 13:36 »
Hallo,

yes, 4 * 6L6 for the powersection.

Best regards, Dirk
Für Support und Produktanfragen bitte das offizielle Kontaktformular im Shop verwenden. PMs werden nicht beantwortet.

Nev

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: 17.03.2006 15:58 »
Hey guys,
Yes my Powerball comes with 6L6's and 12AX7's in it.  I'm not sure, but all the stock tubes don't really tell you exactly what type they are (TT-KT66, JJ, EH, SED, Chinese?) They just say ENGL. The map is helpfull.  What about 6550's their not on the map? How are those?   
I really like the Powerball, but I'm having a bit of a problem finding a nice mix of a killer rhythm tone and brilliant lead tone.  Does anyone have a recommendation on EQ settings?
I play metal, and I'm impressed by the tone of the Blackmore when the preamp is all the way up.  The PB has enough gain for my taste and I need all the features of the Powerball.  What about the "voicing" is there any way to change that?
I'm hoping that changing the tubes will help find something combined.   Any ideas are appreciated.
Cheers...
Nev

Does anyone have recommendations for the EQ settings that they find ideal?

Offline Dirk

• Dirk M.
  • Administrator
  • YaBB God
  • 2T or not 2T
« Antwort #5 am: 17.03.2006 21:56 »
Hallo,

first of all you should stay with the 6L6 otherwise you might will get some problems with the powertransformer.
Try to optimize the preamp e.g. use the JJ ECC803 in the input stage to get a more powerfull sound or a TT12AX7 to get more highs.

Best regards, Dirk
Für Support und Produktanfragen bitte das offizielle Kontaktformular im Shop verwenden. PMs werden nicht beantwortet.

Offline Wicked

« Antwort #6 am: 19.04.2006 11:20 »
killer rythm tone?
here are my settings (from 0 to 10)

channel 4
hi-lead bottom: on
mids: open

gain: 6-7
bass: 8
mid-open: 7
treble: 7